Tuesday 6 March 2012

How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning, and evaluation stages?


1. Final Cut Pro: This piece of software was vital for my group to be able to create our horror movie trailer. It is a piece of editing software which includes a vast amount of tools and effects that are useful in making a modern professional looking video. We used this program for the vast majority of our editing. Although my group and I were largely unfamiliar with this software to begin with, we quickly learnt how to operate the tools available to us, and found the large amount of effects to be very important in allowing us to create a professional product. The tools we found particularly useful were the built in effects. We used an effect called 'Bad-TV' numerous times to create the static/CCTV effect. We also found the colour, contrast and saturation controls to be very useful. They allowed us to alter the look of our original shot, which was very useful in creating the CCTV section in our trailer. Click the image below to read a summary of the basics of this complicated, professional software:

Final Cut Pro Analysis


2. Adobe After Effects: This is a piece of digital motion graphics software that my group used to achieve the face morph effect seen at the end of our trailer. Although at first we found it difficult to understand the vast amount of tools this software offers, we eventually were able to create the desired effect needed to make the main 'scare moment' in our trailer.


3. Blogger: This website is key to the presentation and management of all my A2 media coursework.  It is a free blogging website which is flexible due to web 2.0 allowing it to have multi-media connectivity.This allows anyone to create a simple blog in which they can create separate posts consisting of various media types e.g. text, images, video, and links. Overall I found creating posts very simple to do. The website offers an array of tools in order to change the look of your posts which are all simple to use, and you can also customise the look of your blog to make it unique to yourself. However sometimes I found that creating posts could be frustrating and limiting, particularly when trying to re-size, and position images amongst text.


4. Flickr: This is a free website used for uploading and storing images online. I used this predominantly to highlight and add captions to certain parts of an image,which would be harder to explain in an essay format. I used this website predominately for my analyses. All the images I uploaded to this website could be linked to blogger so it was very convenient in helping me keep my work in one place (my blog).


5.Slideshare: This is a very useful website that allowed me to upload my Microsoft Powerpoint presentations to the internet. I wanted to include presentations of this format on my blog to make it more interesting to view. The main use of this website was for the audience research section, in the research stage of the coursework. The website allowed me to embed the uploaded presentation onto my blog, so once again, it was very convenient in keeping my work in one place.


6. Photoshop CS5: Photoshop is a piece of image editing software developed by Adobe Studios. I am widely familiar with this software after using it a lot in my AS media studies coursework last year, although I feel my skills with using this programme have been enhanced  since then. The programme offers hundreds of tools which can edit an image in practically any way you want. The main use of this software for me was in the creation of my anciallry texts (film poster and magazine cover), where I used some of its fairly basic tools such as the text tool, paint bucket, eraser, and colour filter tool. Photoshop also allowed me to create some of the other images seen on my blog such as the banner heading.


7. Youtube: This is widely popular, user based video sharing website that allows people to upload and comment on videos. It was very helpful to me in the research stage of creating my trailer when I needed to find real horror movie trailers to analyse on my blog. The site was helpful as it allowed me to embed the videos I found onto my blog. Eventually this website was used to upload my own trailer. The liking system and comment section available on the video open up the possibility of further audience feedback in addition to the feedback received from my class screening.


8. Digital Video Camera: We used a  video camera for all the filming on our trailer. The camera was very simple to use and recorded film in full HD quality, allowing us to create a professional looking product. I feel that the quality of the camera we used vastly contributed to the professional feel of our trailer.

1 comment:

  1. No images or links makes this very boring to look at. I think you should divide it into the three stages the question asked you to look at. Begin with research and planning, move onto construction, then finish off with evaluation. You'll need to do much more on Final Cut Pro which is industry-standard software and which was new to you. You need to explain in specific detail some of the techniques and tools that were used. You should also look at After Effects a little as it was central to your face morph. I would expect to see a screenshot of your actual project opening Final Cut Pro with annotations explaining which tools you found it very important to get to grips with. Finally when you're discussing evaluation I would like to see more depth of thought about using something like blogger to evaluate your work. Compare it to more traditional methods of evaluating work which are used in education. Some of the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.

    ReplyDelete